Hallie Pro - First Steps - Install & Activate Genesis and the Hallie Pro Child Theme
Installing the Genesis Framework and a child theme follows the same process for installing any WordPress theme, except that you’re essentially installing two themes.
First, you install the Genesis Framework and then you install a child theme.
There are two ways to install the Genesis Theme Framework or a Genesis child theme.
Below you will see instructions for both options.
Please Note: If your website is hosted on Wordpress.com, you cannot install the Genesis Framework
or new themes unless you are on the business plan. This is a restriction on wordpress hosted sites.
It is worth noting that the Genesis Framework must be installed prior to activating a child theme, and
must remain in the /wp-content/themes/ directory on your server. This is crucial and will causes errors otherwise.
Installing through the wordpress dashboard
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance > Themes.
- Click the Add New button at the top of the page.
- Click the Upload Theme button at the top of the page.
- Click the Choose File button and find the file for the theme on your computer. The file will typically be named with the name of the theme and have an ending of .zip.
- Once you have selected the theme file for upload, click the Install Now button.
- After completing these steps to install the Genesis Framework, repeat them to install a child theme.
Installing With An FTP Client (Advanced)
1. Download the theme zip file to your computer, and unzip it. You will see a theme folder with the name of the theme you are installing.
2. Log in to your server through an FTP client, and navigate to the wp-content/themes directory. You will transfer the entire theme folder to that directory. If you are using a child theme, you will need to transfer both the genesis theme folder as well as the child theme folder to that directory.
Activating the Theme
After you’ve installed both the Genesis Framework and a child theme, you’re ready to activate the child theme. It is not necessary to activate the Genesis Framework theme as it will run quietly in the background. Be sure the Genesis Framework is installed before you activate a child theme.
To activate your child theme, log in to your WordPress dashboard, and go to Appearance > Themes. There you will see screenshots of the themes that are available for you to use. Hover over the screenshot of the theme you wish to activate and click the Activate button.
- If you are looking for a good FTP client, you can check out CuteFTP, Filezilla, Transmit or Cyberduck – make sure you find one that is compatible with either a PC or a Mac, depending on which you have.
- If the theme downloads as a folder full of files, this is a result of a setting on your computer. You can zip it back up by right-clicking on the folder name and choosing Compress.
- Do not rename the genesis folder. Child themes look specifically for this exact name. Any other variation will not be found by the child theme.